A program of restoration at Chichester Cathedral spanning two decades:
The first phase of the glazing work to the north side of Chichester Cathedral was the removal and remaking of all the leaded windows to the North Transept, including the large 10ft diameter multi-foil window rising nearly 100 feet above ground level, and the massive seven light stained glass windows of 35ft x 4ft below. Work commenced in 1991.
The cleaned and restored leaded stained glass windows once again delicately illuminate this transept area.
On the south side of the building restoration included the eight clerestorey leaded stained glass windows, begun in 1997. Work at ground level involved the four large stained glass windows to the South Aisle side chapels. Each window of two openings 4 x 16 ft and a 4 ft diameter quatrefoil above had become bowed and distorted with age, the glass in places cracked or missing.
Work progressed to the complete reglazing of the North West Tower of Chichester Cathedral, completed in December 1999. The windows were glazed with clear antique glass and the work included the refurbishment of the associated ferramenta.
Work began on the South Transept windows in October 2001. The photograph taken before the work began shows the scale of the windows, and the extent of the bowing of the lead matrix of the panels. During the last restoration in the 1890's three panels of the upper right hand side had been wrongly placed, and this was rectified during this restoration.
The photographs also show the newly cleaned and fully restored windows in their correct order, refitted in 2002.
Work is now finished on the beautiful Victorian Clayton & Bell windows of 1882 to the Lady Chapel, and is the last major phase of restoration to the masonry and cathedral stained glass windows.